Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Lake of Rocks

The next day was spent in rest and relaxation. I wrapped my bars with new tape, and got my junk somewhat sorted. In the afternoon I took ride a into Dampierre to see it in the daylight. The chateau was particularly impressive, as I had ridden by it twice the previous night without noticing. I saw painted on the roads proof that the Tour de France had passed through about a month previous. In the evening I had a small meal and sat out on the porch of my hut with a beer or two, and watched the sun go down on this very pretty corner of the world.

The next day was check-in, where you submit your bike to a safety check, and get your number and control card. My appointment was not until the afternoon. It had started raining overnight, I delayed leaving the hut as long as I could, but ended up riding to the train in a light rain. It was a nice ride though, with everything so green, and fresh air from the rainstorm to fill the lungs.

Soggy line for the bike check
Registration pick-up in the barn
The start/finish was located at the Bergerie Nationale (National Sheepfold) in Rambouillet, and the rain turned it into a big muddy mess. I had brought rubber shoe covers, and they were trashed by the end of the day. I was glad to have my wool jersey. I tried to catch up with some of the other Montana Randonneurs but never could connect. There just wasn't much to write home about today. I retreated to my hut and turned in early. Tomorrow was the big day and I needed all the sleep I could get.
Chateau de Dampierre



No comments:

Post a Comment